One thing that we can all take away from the last few years is the importance of handwashing as an affordable, easy and effective do-it-yourself protection against illness and infection.
October 15th is Handwashing Day, a global advocacy day dedicated to increasing awareness and understanding about the importance of handwashing as an effective and affordable way to prevent diseases and save lives.
Washing your hands properly with soap removes dirt, viruses, bacteria and infections to stop them spreading illnesses such as food poisoning, flu or diarrhoea.
The NHS advises washing your hands for the amount of time it takes to sing “Happy Birthday” twice (around 20 seconds) for optimum results.
When should you wash your hands?
- after using the toilet or changing a nappy
- before and after handling raw foods like meat and vegetables
- before eating or handling food
- after blowing your nose, sneezing or coughing
- before and after treating a cut or wound
- after touching animals, including pets, their food and after cleaning their cages
How should you wash your hands?
- Wet your hands with water
- Apply enough soap or handwash to cover both hands and rub together
- Use one hand to rub the back of the other and clean in between the fingers and under the fingernails, then repeat with the other hand
- Rub your hands together with fingers interlaced to clean in between them
- Rub the back of your fingers against your palms
- Rub your thumb with the opposite hand, then swap over and repeat
- Rub the tips of your fingers on the palm of the opposite hand, then swap and repeat
- Rinse hands with water and dry thoroughly
Luxury Hand Washes from ARRAN Sense of Scotland
ARRAN Sense of Scotland (formerly Arran Aromatics) aims to give you micro-moments of wellbeing throughout the day with its luxury hand wash collection. The gentle formulations are non-drying to skin and made with the brand’s very own freshwater spring on the Isle of Arran, not to mention they smell truly divine with a long-lasting scent you will continue to enjoy after use.
All of the fragrances in the collection are inspired by the natural beauty of ARRAN’s island home. And there’s something to suit everybody – from the refreshing citrus scent of Glenashdale to floral Imachar to the unique scent of an Arran garden following a rain shower which inspires After the Rain.
After the Rain Hand Wash – £16.00
A timeless floral and citrus fragrance containing a burst of lime, a hint of rose and warming notes of sandalwood along with greenery, herbal shrubs, cedar wood and moss.
Glenashdale Grapefruit Hand Wash – £16.00
The waterfalls that rejuvenate the southern highlands of Arran are the inspiration for Glenashdale’s energising zest. Sparkling citrus notes of grapefruit, lemon and bergamot effortlessly entwine around a heart of green leaf and vetiver.
Imachar Bergamot & Honeysuckle Hand Wash – £16.00
This vibrant fragrance, inspired by the natural beauty of Imachar on the west of Arran, combines contrasting citrus accents of bergamot, mandarin and lime around a warm heart of clover, honeysuckle and rose.
Reduce Plastic Waste with Eco Hand Wash Refills
Luxury, saving money and looking after the environment don’t often come hand in hand, but ARRAN’s eco-friendly 2 litre refills will help buyers do their bit in helping to look after the planet. Each 2 litre refill is equivalent to six standard size bottles and will reduce your plastic consumption by up to 75%.
The 2 litre hand wash refills are priced at £45.00 and there’s free delivery too so no need to worry about a pricey postage fee.
ARRAN’s environmental aims are laid out in its Environmental Policy here: https://arran.com/pages/environmental-policy